This 18th century mansion was the seat of the former Earls of Bantry and is still the home of some their descendants. It commands a spectacular position overlooking the broad expanse of Bantry Bay with the Caha Mountains beyond. The house contains some exceptional art and furniture collected by the second Earl on his travels from such places as the Palace of Versailles. The Earl and his wife were also responsible for the creation of the Italianate garden with its seven terraces looking out across the bay. Both house and gardens are open to the public.
Part of the stable block houses the Armada Centre, an exhibition commemorating the ill-fated attempt by a French invasion force, accompanied by Wolfe Tone, to land in Bantry Bay in 1796. The exhibition includes a scale model of the 32-gun Surveillante, one of the French ships whose remains now rest at the bottom of the bay.